Tuesday, March 3, 2020


March 3, 2020



Auckland, New Zealand



Although this is my third visit to Auckland, I have never walked more than a couple of blocks on Queen Street.  I was off the ship by 9:30 to walk up Queen Street to the Civic Centre.  I went into a few stores and bought a couple of things before heading back to the yarn store.



I had decided on two sweater patterns I liked and was determined to find yarn for one of them.  A number of people from the ship came in while I was debating including Judy (Lee) who purchased sock yarn (she was the one who taught me to make toe-up socks two years ago).  I finally made up my mind on a recycled yarn with possum fur.



Yesterday, I told you that I had a surprise in the store.  Here is the story.  While I was checking out I was mentioning I was on the ship and would return tomorrow.  Tracey said that she had to make a delivery to the ship and then to my astonishment said my name and cabin number.  After I told her that I was the person to whom she was referring, she told me that someone who reads my blog wanted to donate yarn for Project Linus blankets.  This amazing person had read how we were just about out of yarn and contacted the store to get some for us.  When I returned today I found out that he had paid for 30 balls of yarn! In a time when there is so much negativity, it is reassuring to know that there are still people who are so caring.  This had put a smile on my face as well as everyone I have told.  I know the blankets made from this yarn will put a smile on the faces of the children who receive them, too.



Before I left the store, Cheryl did a short interview with me which she is putting up on the store’s facebook site.



With three large bags of yarn as well as the few things I had purchased (I found the shampoo that is supposed to take the blue out of my hair) I went back to the ship.  I would have set out again but they had moved the all-aboard time from 5:30 to 4 pm so instead I went to the Lido for lunch before finishing my sixth Linus blanket (tomorrow I will start on #7 with some of the beautiful new yarn).



At 4:00 the monthly muster drill took place.  It was over just after 4:30. It was time to make a new pitcher of tea so I took the pitcher to the Lido and let the tea brew for a while and then went out on the back deck to watch our sail-away from Auckland.



There was trivia at 6:30 and once again I played with the “We Don’t Need Google” team.  We had 15 out of 20 and the winners had 17.



1.What is the capital of New Zealand?

2.Finn, soling, and star are classes in which sport?

3.What metallic element makes steel “stainless”?

4.Which animal cannot look up in the sky in a standing position?

5.Name the four largest (in area) countries in Oceania and for an extra point put them in order.

6.What US poet wrote, “Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker?”



After dinner I went to the second show by “The Alley Cats”, the do-wop group.



Bay of Islands tomorrow.


Trivia

1.Wellington

2.yachting

3.chromium

4.pig

5.Australia, Papua New Guinea, Indonesia, New Zealand

6.Ogden Nash


Views of Auckland's CBD






Three views of New Zealand Fabrics and Yarn and my soon-to-be blue sweater


Views of sail-away




and I saved the best for last... all the beautiful yarn that was generously donated - enough to make at least 6 more blankets






Smooth sailing until next time!




2 comments:



  1. Here is a link to the Facebook Page. What a great story!! https://www.facebook.com/nzfabs/

    ReplyDelete