Wednesday, March 4, 2020


March 4, 2020



Bay of Islands, New Zealand



When I was here in 2014, some of my friends took the ferry over to Russell from the town of Paihia and really liked the little town so that was my plan for today.  When I woke up, however, I thought my plans would change because it was rainy and the sky was an ugly gray.  Luckily, the day grew much brighter as I was waiting for my tender number to be called.



When I arrived ashore I took the complimentary shuttle bus from the tender dock near the Waitangi Treaty Grounds into Paihia.  I walked around starting with the craft stalls, crafts in the War Memorial Building, a trip to the dollar star (not everything was a dollar like at home), getting a hokey-pokey ice cream cone (finally!), and then taking the ferry over to Russell.



It’s hard to believe that the beautiful little town of Russell was once known as the “Hell Hole of the Pacific”!  In the early 1800s it was a provisioning port for whalers and got quite a bad reputation.  Today it is a picturesque, historic town and a popular vacation spot.



When I was on the ferry returning to Paihia, it started to rain.  I had been carrying my raincoat around all day but by the time we docked it was only a light drizzle that stopped almost immediately.  I walked around a little longer and then took the shuttle back to the tender.



I had not been able to get on-line at all last night so I was trying to post my blog when I got back on board.  I still was having no luck so I went to the Lido and got a sandwich and took it back to my cabin to keep trying.  I eventually was able to get the blog posted and the entry on Cruise Critic but still was unable to load pictures. 



I stopped for 4:30 trivia which was in the Piano Bar today due to sail-away party being held in the Crow’s Nest.  We had 15 out of 17 and was just beaten out by our neighbors (We Don’t Need Google), who had 16.

1.Which of the Great Lakes does not touch Canadian shores?

2.What does an autophobe avoid referring to?

3.Which Asian country has the least amount of urban green space per person?

4.What is a flat image that can be displayed in three dimensions?

5.What is the largest Japanese island?

6.What number does “giga” stand for?



After trivia I went to deck nine by the Sea View Pool to see the last of the islands.  You may have noticed I have not been swimming in the last few days.  The reason is its been a little too cool.  On the bright side, my new shampoo has done a great job of removing the blue in my hair!



I then went back to trying to load pictures.  To give you an idea of the situation, I kept track between 6:00 and 6:32:

Able to connect and was on five minutes before losing connection

Could not connect on two tries

Connected and was on for four minutes before losing connection

Could not connect on 16 tries

Connected but lost it before being able to do anything

Could not connect on 2 tries

Connected but lost it before being able to do anything

Could not connect on one try

Connected but lost it before being able to do anything

Could not connect on one try

Connected and was on for seven whole minutes before losing the connection.

Very, very frustrating.  I do knit or crochet while I am waiting so the time is not a total loss.



I did not go to the show after dinner because I wanted to spend more quality time with the %#^*$@ internet.



We gain an hour tonight.



Sea day tomorrow.



Trivia

1.Lake Michigan

2.self

3.Japan

4.hologram

5.Honshu

6.one billion

Views of Paihia


this was a very popular stop for people from the ship

finally got my hokey-pokey ice cream

 lots of different kinds of boats in the bay


Views of Russell



my sixth onboard Linus blanket






Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment