Monday, March 2, 2020


March 2, 2020



Auckland, New Zealand



My plan for the day was to catch up on internet stuff (e-mails, updating apps, etc.) and go yarn shopping.



I slept late and did not get off the ship until about 10:30. The McDonald’s I was planning on spending time in was no longer there (don’t know why the website didn’t say so) but there was another one about a block away.  Sherita was going to meet me after her tour, so I e-mailed her the location of the new one.  She arrived just before 12:30.



After Sherita ate lunch we walked to the yarn store – New Zealand Fabrics and Yarn.  It is only about a five minute walk up Queens Street from the ship.  It is a tiny store but it is jam-packed with yarn, fabric, other crafts and supplies. 

One of the things that New Zealand is known for is possum fur.  For my fellow Americans, do not think of those ugly opossums that we have.  The NZ possums are kind of cute but they are not real popular because they eat leaves, flowers, fruit, eggs, birds, and insects.  They were brought from Australia in the 1800s.  You can read more about them here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_brushtail_possum_in_New_Zealand .



I had visited the store in 2018 and purchased yarn to make a hat and socks that contained possum fur.  I had seen a jacket pattern that I really liked but it was early in the cruise and I had talked myself out of it – a decision I have regretted so I bought the yarn and pattern today.  I also bought yarn for a capelet that has 40% possum fur, 40% cashmere, and 20% silk.



Also, something surprising happened in the store which I will tell you more about tomorrow.



Sherita and I walked to the grocery store because she wanted to pick up a few things.  I hate going to the grocery store at home but it is always fun to do so in a foreign country.



We arrived back on the ship after 3 pm and I was hungry so I ordered a quesadilla and a piece of chocolate cake for a very late lunch.



I spent most of the rest of the afternoon researching sweater patterns since I am going back to the yarn store tomorrow.



The only trivia of the day was at 6:30. I played with the “We Don’t Need Google” team.  We tied another team with 16 out of 20.

1.Which is mentioned more in the Bible – corn, figs, or olives?

2.What does the slang term “all day and night” mean to a prison inmate?

3.On the periodic table what does the number below the symbol of the element mean?

4.How much does an average man’s brain weigh at the age of 30?

5.What is mixed with white wine in a spritzer?



After dinner I talked with Judy (Margaret) because I thought she was going yarn shopping today.  Turns out she and Pete are going tomorrow.  We talked patterns and yarns until they were about ready to throw us out of the dining room.



There was no show tonight.



Another day in Auckland tomorrow.








Trivia

1.corn

2.life sentence

3.atomic weight

4.3 pounds

5.soda water



Smooth sailing until next time!

4 comments:

  1. Your possom yarn sounds very nice! I bought a pair of possom yard gloves on our 2018WC. LOVE them! Thanks for sharing your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought gloves in 2018, also. Love the feel of them!

      Delete
  2. I'm cruising around NZ at the end of this month. It is a knitting cruise. Thanks for sharing. I use to shop at that store in Auckland in the 70's and I am planning to go back and buy possum wool as well. Enjoy the rest of you travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to tell them that Kathi says "hi".

      Delete