Saturday, February 8, 2020




February 8, 2020



At Sea



I started my morning with Sit and Stitch with Sherita, Judy (Lee), and Bonnie.  Judy (Margaret) came up at around 11:25 to help Judy (Lee) with her shawl.  I asked her about the yarn shopping in our port tomorrow.



All six of us were present for morning trivia.  We did better than yesterday with 11 out of 18.  The winners had 15.

1.What is January’s birthstone?

2.Barbie was launched in 1959 by which toy company?

3.What were Kobe Bryant’s jersey numbers?

4.Where was Chopin buried?

5.Who was the guitarist for Cream?



As I returned to my cabin after trivia, the captain was making his 12:30 update.  Normally this is only broadcast in public places but as I entered my cabin I realized it was coming through the cabin speaker.  As he continued, I realized why.  He was addressing the situation with Coronavirus.  He explained the procedures being used to keep us all safe.  Later in the afternoon a note appeared specifying important information.  I am not sure what the news is saying at home but there have been some cruise ships quarantined as well as at least one (ms Westerdam) that had a hard time finding a port that would allow them to dock.  






My Linus blanket is coming along nicely and I am almost half finished.  Lunch in the Lido and then arts and crafts where we made a beaded necklace.  The necklace was made of over 200 seed beads and took us over an hour to complete. 



Afternoon trivia was in the Piano Bar because scenic narration was going on.  We had 11 out of 15 and the winners had 13.

1.What is the tallest mountain in North America?

2.Which city is farthest north – New York City, Rome, Istanbul, or Hong Kong?

3.What is the technical name for the sound that comes from an elephant’s trunk?

4.Which element has the highest boiling point?

5.What is the currency of Kenya?

6.Which spirit gets its name from the Gaelic for water?



I spent some time on the deck as we sailed through the Chilean fjords.  It was another beautiful day and the temperature is increasing nicely.  I stayed at the aft portion of deck 3 which had direct sunlight and no wind.  We passed a number of fish farms.



Tonight was a Gala Night in conjunction with tomorrow night’s Oscar Ceremony.  The theme was “Paparazzi” and there was a red carpet as we entered the dining room.



I was not planning on going to the show but Sherita stopped by the table and said how good it was.  The entertainer was Kenny Martyn and he featured music by Benny Goodman as well as a few others.  He was backed by the excellent Amsterdam band.



Puerto Montt tomorrow.



Morning trivia

1.garnet

2.Mattel

3.8 and 24

4.Paris

5.Eric Clapton



Afternoon trivia

1.Denali

2.Rome

3.trumpet

4.tungsten

5.shilling

6.whiskey





Views during our scenic cruising









today's beaded necklace


dining room decorated for Paparazzi Night



Smooth sailing until next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment