Tuesday, February 4, 2020




February 4, 2020



Drake Passage, Cape Horn, and Overnight in Ushuaia



A very strange morning! 

     1)I woke up at 5:45

     2)I spent over an hour out on deck

     3)I ate breakfast



Commentary about our passage of Cape Horn was scheduled to start at 6:30 am.  I decided that I needed to get up and see it so I went to bed early (midnight).  The temperature was not too bad (mid 40s) but the wind was terrible.  I tried going up to “my deck” but the wind was so bad I could not even stand straight.  I had two cups of hot chocolate by 7:30 (it was available in the atrium on deck 3).  By the time we passed Cape Horn (which is not actually the southernmost point of South America but the line of demarcation between the Atlantic and Pacific), I was hungry so I had some bacon and a muffin in the Lido.  While I was in the Lido I met Kathy (from the dinner table) and she told me that yarn had been mentioned in Glenn-Michael’s (exc guide) talk yesterday so I went back to my cabin and listened to his port talk.  Evidently there is quite a lot of yarn for sale in the local mercado (market) in Puerto Montt, which we did not go to last year.



I spent an hour with the Sit and Stitch group before I headed to the Explorer’s Lounge to turn in my latest Linus blanket and pick up yarn for the next one.



We only had 10 out of 15 in trivia with the winners getting 12.


1.Motorphobia is the fear of what?

2.A signet is a newly hatched ___.

3.What international company is credited with having influenced the image of Santa Claus?

4.The cashew is a relative of which poisonous plant?

5.What element is named for the seventh planet from the sun?

6.In what year did Robert Burns write Auld Lang Syne – 1783, 1788, or 1891?



Started working on my latest Linus blanket before lunch in the Lido (they had my favorite pineapple pie!) then we made dice earring in Arts & Crafts.


Another poor showing in afternoon trivia with 13 out of 21.  The winners had 17.


1.What Spielberg drama is the only 1990s movie to make the American Film Institute’s top 50 American movies?

2.Mrs. Doubtfire won an Oscar for what?

3.Which North American field sport has the most rules?

4.What continent is home to 5 of the 8 longest rivers in the world?

5.Which royal helped Kenneth Branagh prepare for his role as Henry V?



When trivia was over we were approaching Ushuaia but there were two expedition ships that had to move before we could dock so it was 7:30 before we were tied up and people could get off the ship.



After getting up so early I did not go to the show after dinner.





Morning trivia

1.vehicles

2.swan

3.Coca-Cola

4.poison ivy

5.Uranium

6.1783



Afternoon trivia

1.Schindler’s List

2.make-up

3.football

4.Asia

5.Prince Charles



approaching South America 

 albatross

 southernmost point of Cape Horn

 we were passing from the Pacific back into the Atlantic

 cormorants

silhouette of an albatross which is a memorial to sailors who died trying to "round the horn"

 approaching Ushuaia

 many of the Antarctic expedition ships leave from Ushuaia

 dice earrings

something new to me this year - a note from the laundry 


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment