Sunday, February 16, 2020


February 16, 2020



Rapa Nui (Easter Island), Chile



We actually made it to Easter Island.  I had no idea until a couple of weeks ago that the waters are rough enough that many ships are not able to tender to the island.  Easter Island belongs to Chile even though it is about 2300 miles away.  Rapa Nui is one of the most isolated islands in the world with its nearest neighbors over 1000 miles away.  Rapa Nui is the Polynesian name for the island.  It is often referred to it as Easter Island because it was first seen by Europeans on Easter Sunday in 1722.  The population is only about 7750 people and the island is about 63 sq. miles.  Almost all of the island is part of a national park requiring an $80 (US) ticket.  It has been an UNESCO World Heritage Site for about 25 years. 



We started tendering after the ship was cleared starting with tours, President’s Club members, and suite guests.  The first of the tender tickets started to be called about 9:30 and open tendering began around 12:30.



I went to the Crow’s Nest around 10 and knitted with Bonnie until lunch time.  My meeting time for my tour was 1:15, so after lunch I worked on my Linus blanket until just before 1 pm when I went to the meeting point, The Mainstage. 



We were called just after 1:15 and taken down the crew stairs to A deck where the tender stairs are located.  It was rocky getting into the tender but as usual the crew did a great job getting us on safely. 



When we reached the shore there were tents with the islanders selling various souvenirs.  We had about twenty minutes to shop before we started the excursion. 



On the other side of the road from the tents was the first Moai (pronounced mow-eye).  Almost all face inland and were built between 1250 and 1500 AD.  None of them were standing by the mid-1800s.  Some have been restored and placed back on their ahus (stone platforms).  Although often called “heads”, they really represent the head and torso. There are 887 ones recorded.



Our first stop was at Tahai where we saw one of the Moai that had had his (the statues are all male) eyes restored (the way they all once were).  There was also one with a topknot (looks kind of like a hat) which represented a chieftain.  There were also five restored to their ahu.



We then traveled to Ahu A Kivi where there were seven Moai on an ahu.  This is the only site where they face towards the sea.  We had time to walk around before heading back to the only town on the island and a visit to an art gallery with some extremely unusual displays (I don’t believe anyone bought anything).  We were supposed to go to an Artisan’s Market but were told a few days ago that it was closing early today because of the festival going on.  We went by it twice and the door was open and the lights were on. 



I was back on the ship a little after 5 pm (I missed trivia).  I worked on my pictures and did a little work on my Linus blanket before dinner.  All four of us present.  There was a Rapa Nui themed dinner with a Moai statue on each table.



I skipped the acrobat show after dinner but took my Chilean form to Guest Services because I forgot it when I got back to the ship. 

We gain another hour of sleep tonight.


Sea day tomorrow.




my first moai








 sign shows as close as you can get



Street scenes










this reproduction shows how the hands were placed on the originals


unusual lawn art


Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment