Sunday, February 23, 2020


February 22, 2020



Papeete, Tahiti



I awoke just after six as we were pulling up to the dock next to this huge yacht.  Since I was not going anywhere until after nine I went back to sleep.



This was my third time to Papeete and I had taken excursions both times before.  My goal for this year was to make it to the market.  Sherita did not have a tour either so we met at 9:15 and headed off the ship.  The market was about a five minute walk.  The market had all kinds of things for sale – meats, fish, fruit, vegetables, flowers, crafts, and souvenirs.  We looked around for about an hour and then found out about a café that had wi-fi.



It was only about 10:15 but we each had a beer and were able to get 30 minutes of internet time.  I was able to download the latest Apple update for my iPad and then started in on getting rid of old e-mails.  We were both hungry so we got another drink (I got a Coke this time round) and ordered burgers and fries – which were delicious.  We also got two coupons for internet time.  By that time Judy (Lee) had come along and sat and had a drink and used her 30 minutes internet time.  A little later Nancy and Cathy (who run Arts & Crafts) came along and did the same thing.



When we left, we walked along some side streets and visited the cathedral before heading back to the ship.  We stopped in the craft stalls that were set up near the pier and were back on the ship by 1:15.



I needed to make tea so I took my book to the Lido and read while my tea seeped.  When that was done I changed and went to the pool for a refreshing swim.  They must have drained the pool because the water was much cooler than a couple of days ago.



In what is becoming a regular feature, it is scuttlebutt time.  Orlando Ashford (President of HAL) has been in Cambodia helping to get the passengers of Westerdam home safely and deciding what to do with the crew since Asian cruises have been cancelled.  The latest rumor is that Ashford will be leaving Cambodia and getting on the ship (one version had him getting on today, another had him getting on in Auckland) and telling us what will happen to our Asian ports.



Trivia was at 4:30. Tomas introduced the two new assistant cruise directors, Andrea and Spencer who both seem very nice.  Only Diana and I were there from our team so Spencer played with us.  We had 17.5 out of 23 and the winners had 19.

1.What are the three ways heat travels? (worth one point each)

2.What are the four smallest countries? (worth one point each)

3.What is white sugar mixed with to make brown sugar?

4.What non-mechanical sport has the highest speed?

5.Which comic strip hero is considered the world’s most famous cat?



Today was National Margarita Day so in honor of that I had two (it was Happy Hour).  They were quite strong and I was a little loopy until dinner time.  I went out on deck three when we were casting off lines thinking some fresh air might help.



All four of us were present for dinner.  I did not go to the show.



A sea day tomorrow.



Trivia

1.convection, conduction, and radiation

2.Vatican City, Monaco, Nauru, and Tuvalu

3.molasses

4.sky-diving

5.Felix



At the market




Around town

I have been asked to put in more food pictures so here is lunch









From the deck


Australian billionaire James Packer's 200 million dollar yacht
 



Andrea, Spencer, and Tomas our assistant cruise directors




Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment