Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Long Road Home

Part 1 - Sunday, March 22


I woke up around 7 but forced myself to stay in bed.  I actually fell asleep for a shot while but got up at 8:08 when Hamish announced the first group for disembarkation.  I got up and got ready for the day.  I then realized I could not find my key card.  I thought I might of packed it in my purse I carried to dinner last night but it had gone into the suitcase picked up last night.  I was ready to go to Guest Services to get another when I remembered I had put it in the bathrobe pocket in case I was locked out when putting my bags out.  Sure enough, there it was.

I decided to eat some breakfast (stress eating) and somehow missed when they called “Red 3”.  At about 9:45 I decided it was time to get off.  As usual, there were some crew members to say goodbye.  I got to give Tomas and Billy a last hug.  We had been told to have our immigration card, passport, and flight information ready to show when we got off.  I had met up with Sherita in line and we talked for a last time.  When we got to the end of the line, all they wanted was the card and we were out.  Not even a dog to sniff our things.  

I was sent to the left for people who had their own transportation.  A short while later, Judy and Pete came out.  They had hired a van to take them to the airport and I was invited to ride with them.  They had requested the driver for noon but had been in touch with him and he was coming early.  As we were waiting for the driver, a local Channel 9 TV reporter showed up.  He interviewed Pete for about five minutes.  

The driver arrived about 11 and we had a very enjoyable ride to the airport which took about 45 minutes.   They were able to check in because their flight was at 2:30 since mine is not until 11, I could not.  We said goodbye and I set off to investigate the airport.  Not much on this side of security but I did find a coffee shop where I got juice and a ham and cheese sandwich.  Just about everyone around me is from the ship.  

I have been eavesdropping on conversations.  Just about everyone has a different story about how their flights were arranged/cancelled/rebooked/treated by HAL, etc.  I also heard an interesting story about yesterday’s delay in getting people off the ship.  According to this story, the reason for the delay was the Pacific Princess docked in front of us.  Supposedly, some people thought they were staying on the ship and refused to get off.  Security had to be called from Fremantle.  

It is now only 1:30 pm, I am amazingly bored and it is still nine hours before the first flight.  At least I am better off than the couple sitting near me whose flight is not until 5:30 tomorrow morning!  More updates to follow. 

 Smooth sailing until next time! 



5 comments:

  1. Hello Kathi.
    Thought I'd comment here instead of on C C.
    Waiting in airports is the pits isn't it. Cetainly not one of my favourite things. And by the sound of it you've discovered one of my favourite travel pastimes......eavesdropping. It's amazing what some people talk about when they are in bars/cafe and a little bit stressed.
    Sorry to hear you got several more hours before boarding- did you bring any knitting with you? I've only been to Perrh once and remember their domestic terminal as being quite basic, hopefully you find it more comfortable airside
    Looking forward to your 'going home' updates
    Take care
    Cathy
    Ps we were together on another sort of ill fated voyage a few years ago - the 2016 Westerdam Hawaiian with Jacqui and all those other CC members. Wonder when we'll get to cruise again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did have my knitting with me. I finished 2/3 of the front of the jacket (from Auckland) I am making.

      It is fun to listen to what others are talking about and it kills time!

      Delete
  2. Kathi I sent you an email with some questions about the airport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get home safely and quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am glad to finally be home. Flying long distances are not fun - there is a reason I cruise!

      Delete