Friday, January 31, 2020


January 31, 2020



Antarctic Experience - Day 2



Today we cruised through the Neumayer Channel and Paradise Harbor.  I woke up about 8 am and the scenery was so amazing I quickly got dressed and went out on deck (I am usually a slow starter in the morning).  After freezing out on deck for a while, I picked up my computer and knitting and headed to the Lido where I thought our knitting group was meeting (turned out they went to the Piano Bar).  It was the first time I had been in the Lido while breakfast was being served, so I picked up a donut and a glass of the most horrendous orange juice I have ever tasted. 



I brought my computer so I could upload my pictures from yesterday.  It ended up taking almost two hours to get them up.  In that time I finished a crocheted cap. 



The commentary said we would pass a penguin rookery around 12:30 so I put all my layers back on and headed out to the promenade deck.  We saw hundreds of gentoo penguins at the Chilean base at Waterboat Point which is part of the Antarctic mainland.  We were told there were 15 staff at the base and they had arrived on November 15 and will leave in mid-March.



We had passed the rookery by 1 pm so I went to lunch in the Lido.  In Arts and Crafts we made a 2020 World Cruise bracelet.



I worked some on my Linus blanket before heading to the Crow’s Nest for trivia.  Somebody did not do a good job of planning because the Crow’s Nest was packed with people watching the scenery.  Eventually it was decided to move us to the Piano Bar.  Many teams had players missing and people recombined which is what we had to do.  The winning team miscounted and we actually tied with them having 15 out of 17 correct.


1.The “alligator pear” is better known as what?

2.What synthetic substance’s name comes from the Greek word for “able to be shaped”?

3.What candy replaced cigarettes in the White House in 1988?

4.Which explorer introduced pigs to North America?

5.What is the oldest European alphabet still in use today?

6.What John Denver song gave Peter, Paul, and Mary their only #1 hit?



Since there was music trivia tonight, I ate in the Lido and then went to the Crow’s Nest.  The theme was Musicals and we had two answers less than the winners with a total of 48.



We were supposed to be cruising near Palmer Station tomorrow and having some of the people working there come and talk with us.  Because of the Corona virus all visits were cancelled.  It’s too bad because they were very interesting when they came to the Prinsendam last year.



Trivia

1.avocado

2.plastic

3.M&Ms

4.Columbus

5.Greek

6.Leaving on a Jet Plane 

Pictures to come.






Sea Spirit expedition ship

 had to visit "my deck"




another expedition ship


the Chilean base




 a Weddell seal on an iceberg floating by

check out the guy in the middle


the dining room decorated with snowflakes and blue lighting


the bracelet we made



Smooth sailing until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment